Community Invited to Vote Online Through Oct. 2
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., September 6, 2023 – The Gerald R. Ford International Airport has been named a reader’s choice finalist for the best small airport by USA TODAY.
The public is invited to cast one vote per person, per day at 10best.com/awards/. The voting period will be open until Monday, Oct. 2 at 11:59 a.m. The USA TODAY 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards highlight top-notch attractions and businesses, providing readers with trusted recommendations.
Nominees for the 10Best are chosen by a panel of relevant experts, including editors from USA TODAY and 10Best.com, expert contributors and industry sources. 10Best.com provides users with original, unbiased and experiential travel content of top attractions, things to see and do, and restaurants for top destinations in the U.S. and around the world.
“Over the last several years, we have invested significantly to improve our guest experience,” Gerald R. Ford International Airport Authority President and CEO Tory Richardson said. “From our front-of-house facelift to the expansion of Concourse A, we want to ensure guests flying through the Airport begin their travels in comfort and return home in style.
“Our success is largely based on the tremendous community support we receive, which makes this nomination incredibly meaningful to us. We hope everyone will visit USA TODAY and cast their vote to make the Gerald R. Ford International Airport the best small airport in the country!”
The Airport is undergoing a number of significant investments into its infrastructure, part of Elevate, a $500 million program to accommodate passenger growth and the largest capital expansion initiative for a small hub airport in the country. These investments include:
- Concourse A expansion, a $110 million project to accommodate passenger growth. Phase 1 opened to the public on June 16, the concourse added eight new gates, expanded gate space to accommodate larger aircraft and introduced new concession and retail concepts, among other amenities.
- Federal inspection station, which will enable the Airport to offer nonstop international commercial passenger flights in the future.
- Consolidated rental car facility, a $156 million project that will offer additional transportation accommodations to travelers visiting West Michigan and include an enclosed walkway from the terminal. This project broke ground in May 2023 with an expected completion date in 2025.
- Air traffic control tower relocation, with siting efforts completed, this project will now transition to the design phase in 2023.
- Additional parking capacity to accommodate increased guest traffic.
- Terminal enhancement project, which is a proposed plan to further extend the front of the terminal to add a checked baggage inspection system to streamline the post-ticket counter journey for baggage, decrease processing time and increase capacity.
Header image courtesy of © Peter McCullough Photo + Drone
About the Gerald R. Ford International Airport
The Gerald R. Ford International Airport is the second busiest airport in Michigan, serving business and leisure travelers with nonstop and connecting flights on six airlines. The Ford International Airport is managed and operated by the Gerald R. Ford International Airport Authority. For more information, visit www.flyford.org or follow the airport on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram @FlyGRFord.
# # #